extracted from Pigot & Co's Cheshire Trade Directory 1834
Hyde is a populous township and village in the parish of Stockport, 7 miles from Manchester, 5 from Stockport, 3 from Ashton and the like distance from Mottram. It is a place deriving its consequence from the extensive establishments for spinning and manufacturing cotton goods by power looms. The invention of the mule has bestowed upon this village astonishing benefit, and perhaps no place in the manufacturing district had, for its size, attained more importance in the last thirty years. Coal, which is found in great quantity here, also adds to the comfort and prosperity of the residents. The inhabitantsof Hyde formerley experienced much inconvenience from the deficiency of water for domestic purposes; but at length, a spirited individual of the town, succeeded (after considerabe opposition) in obtaining an act of parliament, on the 22nd April 1831, for the establishing of water works. The springs rise in the Arnold Hill estate in Gee Cross, the water is of pure quality and remarkably soft. This township enjoys the advantages of water conveyance by the Peak Forest canal, which, as well as the river Tame passes through the township. Hyde mid or Hyde hall, the seat of H J Clarke, Esq. is a building of some considerable antiquity; recent improvements have deprived the exterior of its ancient appearance, but a great part of the interior is in its original state. It is pleasantly situated on the river Tame, but the rapid progress made in manufactures, and the introduction of machinery to such a vast extent and power has materially deteroriated from the beauties on the adjacent scenery.
The places of worship here are the new church, dedicated to St George, and chapels for methodists, calvinists and unitarians. Towards the erection of the church, the parliamentary commissioners granted 4,600 pounds and the inhabitants built the tower at an expense of about 700 pounds; the land for its size was munificently given by George Clarke, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of the rector of Stockport. Several large Sunday Schools are attached to the places of worship. A literary and scientific institution was established in 1821, as was a mechanics institute in 1827. George Clarke, Esq. is lord of the manor and holds a court baron in May and November. A court is also held before Hyde John Clarke, Esq., the magistrate, for the hearing and deciding petty causes, at the offices of Chorlton and Hibbert, solicitors. By the reform act this place joins with Stockport in the election of members for the county. The number of inhabitants in Hyde in 1821 was 3,355, and in 1831, the population had increased to 7,144 persons.
GEE CROSS is a populous village, in the townships of Hyde and Werneth, in the parish of Stockport, four miles north east from the latter town. It derives its name from the circumstance of an ancient and opulent family named Gee, erecting a cross here, of stone, the remains of which, but a few years back, were removed. The only places of worship here, are an unitarian chapel, of which the Rev. J Brooks is the present minister, and a building used occassionally for divine service by the methodists and appropriated also to the uses of a Sunday School. Two fairs viz. 28th April and 20th November, for cattle and pedlary, etc. The population returns for Hyde and Werneth; the latter township contained, in 1831, 3,462 inhabitants; the population of the former has been already stated.
GODLEY, a corruption from Godleigh, the name of its possessors in the reign of John, is a small township, in the parish of Mottram; the houses are scattered over the whole township, without any regard to form as a village. A small rivulet called Werneth brook, divides Godley from Hyde and Newton, and the new road from Hyde to Mottram passes through the township. Cotton spinning and manufacturing, together with farming, comprise the occupation of the inhabitants, the number of whom, in 1821 was 514 and in 1831 was 636.
NEWTON, is a small irregulary built village, in the parish of Mottram, situated on the road from Hyde to Ashton, midway between the two towns, Cotton spinning and manufacturing form the chief employment of the inhabitants. There are also some extensive coal works here. A chapel for the Wesleyan methodists has been erected by James Ashton, Esq., entirely at his own expense; there is also a chapel for the methodist's new connexion. According to the returns for 1821 and 1831, Newton contained at the former 2,159, and at the latter, 5,997 inhabitants.
POST OFFICE, Hoviley Lane, Hyde, William Hulme , Post Master - letters from Manchester arrive every evening at six, and are despatched every morning at six.
POST OFFICE, Gee Cross, Joseph Booth, Grapes Inn, Post Master - letters from Manchester arrive every evening at a quarter past six and are despatched immediately.
For LIST OF INHABITANTS - arranged according to their Professions and Trades go to.